- When you share a piece of music and the recipient struggles to reply out of sheer stupefaction
- Getting a second wind
- When the state of your cappuccino’s foam is both plentiful and high-quality
- When you develop a positive habit and it becomes second-nature
- When you and someone else simultaneously feel something so deeply that it incapacitates your speech but you just know that the other person is experiencing the same phenomenon
- Experiencing a paradigm shift (of neutral or positive nature, hopefully!)
- Finding out you were wrong about something negative you unconsciously accepted as truth
- Noticing something you didn’t realize before: an instrument in a song, the facade of a building above the first storey, a new tasting note in a drink or food, etc.
- The instant you finally feel sufficiently warm or cooled down in the case of inclement weather.
- That moment of understanding when that string of unintelligible words suddenly looks like poetry. Or, when your perspective changes and everything that was old now looks new.
- When all the thoughts that use your head like an airport, landing and taking off ceaselessly, pause for a moment and leave you with a nearly empty and totally peaceful mindset.
- Being able to think back to a years-ago memory and compare it to current circumstances. For instance, the other day at klezmer rehearsal, as my three zany senior music-major fellow bandmates and I danced around in a circle, I was reminded of our very first rehearsal as freshmen in a subterranean practice room. Matt had a man-bun (before it was in vogue), I thought Angus was super cool (still do), and Matthew was doing his best to get us through pieces (still does, but he’s a lot more confident now.) I was much more timid, too. Blast from the past!
- Finding a nugget of joy that comes out of nowhere and pushes all of your humor buttons at once, like this:
And now I’m just gonna pop some hilarious pictures here because laughing is good.